Hestercombe is a small but ambitious visitor attraction near Taunton, Somerset. Over the past 30 years, the 50 acre site has been largely restored, and offers around 100,000 visitors per year a chance to learn, explore and relax in its three period gardens.
To support the Hospitality Manager & Assistant Manager in (and deputise for in their absence) the day-to-day running of the daytime Stables Restaurant and Café. To assist in the running of weddings, functions, and events. Deliver front-of-house (FOH) catering operations in a professional manner for the benefit and enjoyment of the general public.
- Supervise FOH operations and the service of food and drink. Work closely with the kitchen to provide an efficient and friendly service. Work will include:
- Taking food and drink orders at the tills/tables.
- Serving food and preparing hot drinks
- Clearing tables
- Ordering FOH catering and drink supplies
- Opening and closing tills and cashing up
- Carrying out regular stock takes and ensure all goods-inward administration is complete
- Use the Lightspeed content management/EPOS system to add and sell products; view and amend bookings.
- Take every opportunity to increase sales, raise the Average Transaction Value and convert visitors to customers in order to achieve or exceed targets/budgets set.
Functions / weddings / conferences / events
- Supervise the delivery of weddings, functions, conferences and events catering and hospitality, working closely with the Function & Business Sales Coordinator, Head Chef and Hospitality Manager. Work will include:
- Setting-up and clearing down function rooms for a fine dining service, drinks reception, banquet, conference or event.
- Coordinating the service and delivery of food and drink
- Being a license holder and supervising the responsible running of the licensed bar and other licensable activities (Training can be provided)
- Delivering a formal table/waiter service
- Setting up audio visual equipment (AV) and supporting customers in its use.
- Ensure at all times that the visitor experience is the best that can be achieved, embedding excellent customer service in all we do.
- Provide prompt, efficient and courteous attention to the requirements of customers at Hestercombe. Anticipate customer issues where relevant and handle complaints in a professional, clear and confident manner referring to your line manager when necessary.
- Acquire a good knowledge of the Gardens and the Hestercombe Gardens Trust’s role as an independent charity so as to ensure all visitors receive an appropriate welcome and are provided with accurate information.
Assist the Hospitality Manager with, and manage in their absence:
- Line management of FOH catering staff, directing them in a clear and efficient manner.
- Hold regular team meetings to report trading results to staff, cascade information on all developments and issues arising from interdepartmental meetings, update your team on relevant matters.
- Training of Front-of-House staff to ensure highest standard of customer care and service is delivered by all. Ensure that all staff adhere to the highest uniform and personal hygiene standards.
- Develop an inter department approach within the team ensuring all staff are delivering against Hestercombe Gardens Trust values and behaviours.
- Maintain relevant paperwork including cash sheets, staffing sheets, delivery notes and invoices, ensuring their timely delivery to the accounts department.
- Report to and actively contribute to Hestercombe’s management team via meetings etc, ensuring excellent communication and co-operation across the whole Hestercombe team.
- Be responsible for cash handling within the catering department and ensure the maintenance of floats.
- Assist with the planning and delivery of events and theming/decorating of the site.
- Act as a key holder and be responsible for locking and securing the property and gardens on a rota basis.
- Using an eye for detail, ensure that the presentation of the facilities and equipment reflects the Hestercombe Gardens Trust’s high standards. Bring to the attention of the Operations Manager any signs of wear, damage or deterioration in the fabric or contents of the property.
- Ensure all areas of the Restaurant, Courtyard and function rooms are kept clean at all times. Ensure cleaning schedules are adhered to and maintained
- Use all equipment as trained observing all safe practices, so that accidents are avoided.
- Take reasonable care for the health and safety of yourself and of others who may be affected by their acts or omissions at work. Carry out risk assessments as required.
- Undertake other reasonable duties, which are compatible within the overall scope of this appointment
Is the role for me?
We're ideally looking for people who have at least 1 year of customer service experience; if you happen to have catering or hospitality experience too then that's a bonus.
Don't worry - we don't expect you to know everything the moment you join Hestercombe. We're interested in candidates who are keen to learn, and want to bring energy and enthusiasm to the role!
Hestercombe is an equal opportunities employer and we welcome people from all backgrounds, genders, abilities and ethnicities.
Good to know
The Hospitality team is small, friendly, and very welcoming. The same can be said of the wider Hestercombe teams, in Retail, Marketing & Events, Visitor Reception, Finance, Membership and other back office staff. It's a close-knit environment where everybody knows everyone else - we succeed together, and we fail together. In terms of career progression, whilst we don't have a huge team, as we grow our operations (or as you demonstrate exceptional performance), you will hopefully find opportunities to grow here.
Salary & Contract
Salary: £23,000 per annum
Full-time, 40 hours per week.
This is an annualised role so hours worked may vary from month to month but the salary will be paid monthly in 12 equal instalments over the year. You will be expected to work weekends, Bank holidays and limited evenings.
Incentives for members of the Hospitality team include discounted food, retail discounts, free parking and free Hestercombe membership ~ plus, you'll have access to the beautiful gardens here to relax in.
We are keen to help you get to where you want to be, and will provide full training on the job, along with relevant certificates and qualifications where required.
You'll receive 23 days' holiday per year (plus bank / religious holidays).
How to apply
Please apply via Indeed ~ we are looking for someone to join our team as soon as possible. > Apply now
If you'd like to have a chat about the role, please email David for a call back.
Please note: we will be interviewing suitable candidates as applications are received, so we may close the application window earlier if the positions have been filled.