The Garden History Society is working to compile a reference list of Conservation Management Plans (CMPs) and related research for historic designed landscapes.
The CMPs form an invaluable and sizeable body of information on the UK’s historic designed landscapes and are an important research tool. The Garden History Society‘s project, sponsored by English Heritage, aims to produce a readily-available reference list of CMPs relating to historic landscapes in the UK and where to access them.
To maximize this list, the GHS would be delighted to hear from anyone with details of specific CMPs – site owners and managers, landscape architects, historians, local authorities, professional organisations and amenity groups.
Please send as many of the following details as possible, to email@example.com:
- Site name and location (including county)
- EH Register grade, if applicable
- Purpose (e.g. Heritage Lottery Fund, Environmental Stewardship, English Heritage, Task Force Trees, planning application etc)
- Status e.g. draft, final
- Where to find a reference copy (preferably a public record office or library) and/or a web link
The published list will make it clear that consultants will usually have to make a charge to reproduce plans.
And lastly, we hope the list also offers consultants and researchers an opportunity to show their range of experience and expertise.
The list will be available online in March 2013 via the Parks & Gardens UK website, We are looking at ways to keep it updated in future.
The GHS is also working closely on this project with the Hestercombe Gardens Trust, which is creating a CMP archive as a key resource for researchers and landscape consultants to be available through its Centre for Landscape Studies.
This project is the starting point for a wider GHS campaign to highlight the benefits and uses of Conservation Management Plans.
Queries about the project, or to submit details of CMPs relating to historic parks and gardens can be directed at firstname.lastname@example.org, or you can call 07596 656 574.
- If you are not the author/owner of the CMP, please try to obtain permission first and let us know whether this has been done.
- Please alert us if there may be copyright issues.
- Would you be interested in submitting the CMPs to the Hestercombe archive (see below)?
07596 656 574, www.gardenhistorysociety.org
To promote the protection and conservation of historic parks, gardens and designed landscapes, and to advise on their restoration
Registered Charity no. 1053446 Company no. 3163187