Enter Hestercombe’s Poetry Competition
**the poetry competition entry deadline has been extended to 1st May 2019**
With the onset of spring, and as a tribute to our newest restoration project here at Hestercombe, we’re calling for young writers to enter our poetry competition on the theme of ‘spring’.
With the unveiling of Sibyl’s Temple, a recreation of a magnificent 18th century building in Hestercombe’s Georgian Landscape garden, winners of the competition will get the chance to read their poem at the official ceremony in late May 2019 (date to follow).
They will also be invited to take part in a writing masterclass with one of the competition’s judges, international bestselling author Vicky Holmes (creator of Warrior Cats, Rainbow Magic, Animal Ark, Heartland and Chestnut Hill), and there will be prizes of £25 in book tokens to spend on their favourite reads.
The age categories for the competition are split into three: under-12s, 12-15 and 16-21
The competition will close at 5pm on 1st May 2019.
How to enter
You can enter by filling out the form on this page, or by post to: Spring Poetry Competition, Hestercombe Gardens, Cheddon Fitzpaine, Taunton, Somerset, TA2 8LG.
Please include name and age, and a contact number on postal entries.
Submit your entry
Terms and Conditions
- Poems submitted must be the entrant’s own work and hold the copyright. Hestercombe Gardens Trust does not accept liability for publication of plagiarised entries.
- Winners and runners up will be announced by 17 April 2019.
- Winning poems may be exhibited onsite at Hestercombe Gardens and on Hestercombe Garden’s website, Facebook, Twitter and Instagram accounts.
- Winning poems will be shared with third parties for PR purposes.
- Entries must be submitted by post or via the Hestercombe website.
- Poems should be under 3,000 characters in length.
- Parents, teachers or guardians can submit poems on entrants’ behalves.
- Poems must not have been submitted to any other poetry competition in the past.
- Maximum two poems per entrant.